For those of you that are familiar with buttered coffee or “Bulletproof Coffee”, this is my version of that. For about 2 years, I have had my fair share of butter in my coffee, and though it has served me well, I felt the need to make a bit of an adjustment. Not only did I want a little less caffeine, but I also felt this would be a great opportunity to play around with some new flavors and create a yummy treat to look forward to each morning.
Contrary to popular belief, saturated fats are actually extremely beneficial to our health. These healthy fats, from specific sources, help create cell walls in the body and brain and also help to teach our body to burn fat throughout the day. If you’d like more info on this topic (which I highly encourage) check out these resources:
“Good Fats vs. Bad Fats” – Dr. Mark Hyman, MD http://thechalkboardmag.
“Separating Fat From Fiction” – Dr. Mark Hyman , MD http://drhyman.com/blog/2015/
“14 Steps to Eating the Bulletproof Diet” – Dave Asprey https://blog.
“7 Reasons to Eat More Saturated Fat” – Tim Ferriss http://
Here’s a bit about the ingredients that I use in my tea as well as a brief explanation as to why I’ve chosen these specific ingredients-
*Turmeric- Due in large part to curcumin, tumeric’s primary active ingredient — is one of the most powerful anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories on the planet.
*Pu-erh tea- Truly unique due to the process by which the leaves are fermented by microbes after drying and then aged. It is believed that the microbial activity in the tea provides probiotic health benefits unique Pu-erh, such as reducing arterial plaque and LDL cholesterol levels as well as aiding in weight loss by reducing blood sugar levels and improving the body’s ability to metabolize fat. (http://fourhourworkweek.com/
*Collagen Gelatin- Reduce cellulite, improve digestion, help grow hair and nails, improve skin health and elasticity, lower arthritic symptoms. (http://www.eatlivegrowpaleo.
*Grass-fed butter/Ghee – Reduce inflammation, increase bone density, protect against cancer, reduce belly fat.
This tea can be enjoyed in a variety of ways. You can play around with different tea flavors, and different additions such as coconut milk, maca, cocoa powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.
- Organic tea of your choice. Here are a few of my favorites-
- 1 tbsp unsalted grass-fed butter or ghee. Here’s what I use-
- 1 tsp grass-fed collagen gelatin. Here’s what I use-
- 1 tbsp unrefined virgin coconut oil.
- 1 tsp turmeric powder. (preferably organic)
- 1 pinch Himalayan sea salt
- Steep tea bag as suggested on your specific label. (I usually steep my tea about double the time that is suggested to get a bit more flavor out of it!)
- Combine all ingredients except for your turmeric & collagen gelatin into an empty blender.
- Next, pour your steeped tea into the blender.
- Lastly, add in your turmeric powder & collagen gelatin powder.
- Blend & enjoy!